Friday, March 10, 2006

 

NHL's 2005-06 Rule Changes

By far the most important of the rule changes to me were the actual enforcement of the rules! There was a league mandate this year to put a stop to the hooking, holding, interference, obstruction, etc. and I'm glad to see it was finally enforced this year and not just the first month which is what usually happens. I'll be watching closely to see if it continues next year!

The next big thing was the goalie equipment and the removal of the redline. When you see a goalie from the late 80's early 90's, it's almost laughable how small his equipment looks compared to the goalies in 2003 (season before the lockout). Even in 2005-06 they have big pads by comparison but it was a step in the right direction. The removal of the redline really gave the game a nice flow and helped defeat the dreaded neutral zone trap. Of course giving the refs power to waive off icing during failed passes and what not was crucial to making the removal of the redline help rather than hurt.

The next best rule change was the non allowing of line changes if a team ices the puck. Like the enforcing of rules on hooking, obstruction, etc it puts an emphasis on teams playing GOOD defense, not LAZY defense.

The tag up rule, making the offensize zone bigger and goalie playing the puck only behind the net were good changes too but nothing much to say about them.

The only rule I don't really like is the instigator rule. I get tired of players taking cheap shots at other players because they know that most likely no one is going to challenge them because of the instigator rule. Todd Bertuzzi screwed up, we get it! He got punished severly as he should've but I don't think a new rule needed to be put in place because of that instance. Ok...that is my two cents. :-)

Comments:
Did you like the rules changes as a whole and do you feel they did what they were intended to do? The league was trying to increase scoring, right? As you know, you will have to forgive me because I really like hockey but I just don't have the lifelong experience with following it like you and Lee. Just from my newbie perspective, the half dozen or so games that me and the tyke went to this year seemed very enjoyable. There seemed to be a lot less futzing around behind the goal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?